About Me

A Woman of Dignity & Grace

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

WARNING - Driving While Texting (DWT)


This bill was passed already in January, and now it is was a secondary offense which means you had to get caught doing something else while driving like speeding or not wearing a seat belt. Now NY state senate, mainly Republicans are pushing to make it a primary traffic offense - which means if you are holding your phone in your hand they can pull you over and issue you a ticket. The fine will be $150 and 2 points on your license.

While I believe texting and driving is impossible I guess I can be guilty for talking (not hands free) & driving. Although most of the time I use the speaker when I driving the mere fact that the phone is in my hand and cost me $150 & 2 points.

I think the penalty is a bit stiff but at the end it will save lives and bring revenue to NY. On the flipside of things how many times have you seen police officers on the phone while driving? Who will police the police? What about the texter who walks across the street without looking up and texting the whole time. The other day I watched a man smoke a cigarette with a coffee in his hand and texting all at the same time.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: