About Me

A Woman of Dignity & Grace

Thursday, August 20, 2009

New York New York...The Park In the Sky Welcome To The High Line Park

New Yorkers were the best at taking this lovely city for granted. New York has so much to offer, you can ask the 44 - 47 million people who visit each year. I've had the pleasure of doing a little site touring around this wonderful city. From my previous post you can see that I went to check out the "Writing on the Wall at the MoMA" which was fantastic. When I left the museum I strolled up 5th Avenue then over to Lexington. The one thing I can say and I am happy about that I don't have to walk with a map in hand- just my camera.

I've been bitten by the bug and I want to thank T.O.N.Y for providing me with the cool, cheap, fun and must see/do things to do in NYC. If you are a visitor to the city, I suggest picking up the latest magazine at one of our many friendly newsstands around the city- trust me it will be $4.00 well spent (don't pay more for it) you'll be happy you did.

My next venture was to the park in the sky....no serious you are in the sky about 30 feet. The park is situated on an old elevated cargo rail that's located on the West Side of Manhattan in the Meatpacking District (20th btwn 10th & 11th). Easily assessable by the A/C/E/L to 14th Street and 8th Avenue; M14 bus to 14th Street and 9th Avenue. The park opened to the public June 9, 2009. There will be serveral phases but now the first phase is open which extends from Gansevoort Street to 20th Street. The last cargo train that ran on this track was in 1980 pulling frozen turkeys.

One bright sunny Friday after work I chugged myself to the west side to see the High Line. First I stopped at the grocery store and got a water and a fruit salad. It was breath taking - without leaving NYC...and free (just how I like it). As I walk the uneven paved walkway to my left was the sun over the Hudson River and New Jersey and to my right was the busy streets of NYC. Snuggled 30 feet above was me standing in the High Line. I walked. I took photos. I sunbathed while listening to Maxwell, ate fruit and chilled. Look at the pics my eyes captured. Try to get there the park is open from 7am to 10 pm.





No comments: